Friday, September 28, 2012

Rio Santa Barbara

Sunday, August 19, 2012.  Today I would hike up the Rio Santa Barbara.  It's a river that flows through the northern part of the Pecos Wilderness in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains which are part of the Rocky Mountains.  My hike would start at 8,800 ft elevation and I would reach about 9,900 ft. and the total hike would be 11 miles.
Here's a picture of the trailhead.
For the first couple miles the trail stays close to the river.
The trail climbs up above the river and I can look down and see a fly fisherman trying to catch a brook trout.
Back on the trail I continue my gentle ascent.
I come to an opening and stop to admire the views of the mountains.  When Maddie comes to visit for spring break Suzanne and I would like to take her on her first backpacking trip and camp out at this spot.
Back on the trail I see a local rancher riding his horse.
A chipmunk checks me out as I hike by. Probably hoping I'll drop something to eat.
Bluebells are always worth a picture.
Back on the trail the views are spectacular.
What a wonderful day for a hike.
Finally, Chimayosos Mountain comes into view.
I just can't help looking around and admiring nature.
In order to get back to my truck I must cross this 30 ft. bridge.
Once I get across I have a decision to make. Yogi Berra once said "if you come to a fork in the road (trail), take it" so I did.
This nodding sunflower spoke my name.
Back on the trail with only one more mile to go.
These Aspens were just too picturesque to pass up.
And that brings me to the end of my hike along the Rio Santa Barbara.

2 comments:

  1. I like the River with the log across it. Was that the way over? Send back when u get this, love Madelynn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was the way to cross over the river and if you go on that hike with me you will have to walk across that log too.
      I love you Madelynn,
      Grandpa Tom

      Delete