Monday, October 10, 2011

Enchanted Circle

Sunday, Oct. 9, 2011.  Today I decided that instead of hiking I would tour the Enchanted Circle by truck.  It's a route that circles Wheeler Peak from the town of Taos to Red River to Eagle Nest to Angel Fire and back to Taos. It's about an 85 mile trip and since that area got over a foot of snow Sat.  I was expecting some spectacular scenery.  Wheeler Peak at 13,161 ft is the tallest mountain in New Mexico.  You can see from the Taos view that the top half is covered by clouds.
I make a quick stop at the Rio Grande Gorge near Taos.  The Rio Grande is a long way down and I feel a little vertigo just standing on the bridge.
As I continue on the colors start showing.
The snow helps bring out the contrasts.
As I approach Red River I spot a large Hawk sitting on top of a tree.
Half way between Red River and Eagle Nest I just have to stop and take a picture of the snow storm on the mountain.
After lunch in Eagle Nest I take this pic from the parking lot as I get ready to continue on to Angel Fire.
At Angel Fire the colors are peaking.
As I approach Taos again I have completed the Enchanted Circle and take one last pic of Wheeler Peak.

1 comment:

  1. Tom, these pictures are AMAZING! I wish we could have done this hike with you!

    ReplyDelete