Sunday, September 8, 2013

Nambe Lake

Saturday, Sep. 7, 2013.  My love of high mountain lakes led me to research which ones in my area I had not visited.  I found that Nambe Lake is high up in the Pecos Wilderness of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains which are the southern range of the Rocky Mountains.  After driving to the trailhead I crossed this little bridge to begin my hike.
You can see from this picture that the trail is full of rocks so I had to be careful not to twist an ankle, or worse, which was difficult because I was always looking up at the Aspens.
I followed a mountain stream most of the way and sometimes there were little waterfalls like this one.
Sometimes the view was of the bare rocky part of the mountains where very little grows.
And sometimes the view was of the green meadows and trees growing on the mountains.
Finally, after a tough 4.35 miles I reach 11,400 ft. elevation and there before me is Nambe Lake.  I think it is the most beautiful lake I have ever seen.
Nambe Lake is classified as a High Mountain Alpine Lake and it was very clear and pure.  I spent a long time just meditating in the solitude and peaceful feeling it inspired.
I would love to take my grandkids on the hike to Nambe Lake someday.

2 comments:

  1. Finally getting around to viewing all your wonderful hikes. What a wonderful lake, someday I would like to see this lake. Sharon

    ReplyDelete